Monday, December 15, 2008

Sunday Talk

Last Monday I was asked to talk in Sacrament Meeting. I of course cried all the way through it, then again when don't I cry... Anyway, I thought I'd post it. I was glad I was given this topic, I thought it was something I needed to "hear".
Sacrament Meeting Talk 12/14/08

This entire week I’ve been thinking about giving my talk. I’ve told a few people that I was talking and they’ve asked what I was talking about… Well I could never remember the name of the General Conference talk that I was asked to talk on but I knew what it was about. So I told them it was basically about building a bridge and getting over it… In October’s General Conference Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin spoke about the same thing but he had a more delicate way of saying it. Come what may, and love it.
He starts out his talk with this: “When I was young I loved playing sports, and I have many fond memories of those days. But not all of them are pleasant. I remember one day after my football team lost a tough game, I came home feeling discouraged. My mother was there. She listened to my sad story. She taught her children to trust in themselves and each other, not blame others for their misfortunes, and give their best effort in everything they attempted. When we fell down she expected us to pick ourselves up and get going again. So the advice my mother gave to me wasn’t altogether unexpected. It has stayed with me all my life. Joseph she said “come what may, and love it.”
The Way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.
Elder Wirthlin touched on 4 things that has helped him through the times of testing and trial.
1. Learn to laugh
a. The First thing we can do is learn to laugh. We’ve all seen the angry driver who cuts us off. Or reacts, I like how Elder Wirthlin puts is. As though we’ve insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam. We’ve all stubbed our toe banged our head Made a wrong turn and were lost for hours. In times such as these: Learn to laugh.
b. The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable.
2. Seek for the Eternal
a. The Second thing we can do is seek for the eternal. When adversity enters your life. You wonder “why me?” Elder Wirthlin reminds us that the dial on the wheel of sorrow eventually points to each of us. At one time or another, everyone must experience sorrow.
b. In the scriptures are examples of great and noble men and women: Abraham, Sarah, Enoch, Moses, Joseph, and Emma. Each of them experienced trials and sorrow. Because Jesus Christ suffered for us, he understands our suffering. He also understands our grief. In the Doctrine and Covenants Section 121: 7-8 The savior says to the Prophet Joseph Smith: “My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all they foes.”
c. Elder Wirthlin says: With that eternal perspective, Joseph took comfort from these words, and so can we. Sometimes the very moments that seem to over come us with suffering are those that will ultimately suffer us to overcome.

3. The Principle of Compensation
a. The third thing we can do is understand the principle of compensation. In his talk Elder Wirthlin says: The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the lord will be added unto them in his own way. He goes on to say While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.
b. This reminds me of my childhood. When I was about 10 or so we got news that my father was sick. He was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis. He was given 5 years at the most. Throughout the years my father endured many doctors’ visits operations and test after test. He never let his illness get him down my father was an amazing man. He always had a smile on his face and was always willing to help others with whatever they needed he laughed and joked about what he was going through. 5 years came and went the doctors notified him that his disease went into remission. 13 years later he was diagnosed with lung cancer, He still didn’t let this adversity get him down. He was willing to go through whatever the lord had in store for him. He built a bridge and got over it. He was ready. When he passed away almost 5 years ago I was angry and sad, I wasn’t ready to let my dad go, but I know that life will continue on the other side of the veil. That he will be given new opportunities. Not even death can take from us the eternal blessing promised by a loving Heavenly Father.

4. Trust in the Father and the Son
a. The fourth thing we can do is put our trust in our Heavenly Father and in His son, Jesus Christ. In John 3: 16 it says “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
b. Elder Wirthlin goes on to say that The Lord Jesus Christ is our partner, Helper and advocate. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful. If we do our part, He will step in. In Ether 12:27 it says: And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me, and have faith in me. Then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
c. My mother tells me all the time that she prays for her children, that’s all she can do. She puts her trust in Heavenly Father to protect her children when they suffer with adversity. Whenever I have trials and go to her for advice. The first thing she says to me is have you prayed about it? I answer yes, and then she asks have you put your trust in the Lord?
Elder Wirthlin ends his talk by saying this: I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it. As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trail. We can say as his mother said: Come what may, and love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How great. This is a wonderful talk. Thank you for reminding how brave your dad was. I miss him so.
I love you!